Koonwarra Mechanics Institute / Koonwarra Hall
The original Mechanics Institute was a 20' X 30' Baltic pine building built in 1892. This building was burnt to the ground by a fire in October 1938. With a lot of hard work from the locals a new hall was opened, debt free on 27 September 1940. A number of improvements have been made since. The Koonwarra Hall has an active Committee that works hard to ensure this hall remains the premier dance hall in the area. Weekly dances are held and enjoyed by locals and visitors from far and wide. The Hall is available for hire.
Old Time/New Vogue Dancing:
Saturdays 3rd of month8pm - 12 pm
Saturdays 5th of month a live band and simple dancing program
8pm - 12pm
Mondays7:30pm - 10 pm
Tuesdays (except January) 8:00 - 10:30 pm
For further enquiries please contact Vera 5664 3252 or email her firstname.lastname@example.org
The entrance to the Park beside the Hall is through iron memorial gates. The famous Koonwarra Farmers Market is held in this Park on the first Saturday of each month with the shady trees providing a relaxed atmosphere. Also in the Park is a time capsule from the former Primary School relocated following its closure in 1993. The School commenced in the Memorial Hall in 1893 so it was fitting that the capsule returned to the school's origins.
Ian Kinnish - 5664 2334
To read the history of the Memorial Park gates click here